Daniel Goleman has spoken about the Force for Good message to hundreds of groups all over the world. Have him engage with your group or organization by contacting the following:
The following books, articles, films, songs, and websites highlight relevant environmental and social issues.
- The Dalai Lama, Ethics for the New Millennium. New York, NY: Riverhead Press, 2001.
- The Dalai Lama, A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night. Boston, MA: Shambhala, 1994.
- The Dalai Lama, The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus. Somerville, MA: Wisdom Publications, 1996.
- The Dalai Lama et al., Worlds in Harmony: Dialogues on Compassionate Action. Berkeley, CA: Parallax Press, 1992.
- The Dalai Lama and Paul Ekman, Emotional Awareness: Overcoming the Obstacles to Psychological Balance and Compassion. New York, NY: Holt, 2009.
- The Dalai Lama and Daniel Goleman, Destructive Emotions: How Can We Overcome Them? New York, NY: Bantam Books, 2003.
- The Dalai Lama and Alexander Norman, Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World. New York, NY: Houghton-Mifflin, 2011.
- Sharon Begley, Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain. New York, NY: Ballantine Books, 2007.
- Tara Bennett-Goleman, Emotional Alchemy. New York, NY: Harmony Books, 2001.
- Jude Cassidy and Philip Shaver (eds.), Handbook of Attachment: Theory, Research and Clinical Applications, Second Edition. New York, NY: Guilford Press, 2010.
- Paul Ekman, Moving Toward Global Compassion. San Francisco, CA: Paul Ekman Group, 2014.
- Tiffany Field, Touch. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2001.
- Daniel Goleman (ed.), Healing Emotions. Boston, MA: Shambhala, 2003.
- Anne Harrington and Arthur Zajonc (eds.), The Dalai Lama at MIT. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2006.
- Dan Harris, 10 Percent Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works—A True Story. New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2014.
- Paul Hawken, Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Social Movement in History Is Restoring Grace, Justice, and Beauty to the World. New York, NY: Penguin Books, 2008.
- Pico Iyer, The Open Road: The Global Journey of the Dalai Lama. New York, NY: Vintage, 2008.
- Thupten Jinpa, A Fearless Heart: How the Courage to Be Compassionate Can Transform Our Lives. New York, NY: Hudson Street Press, 2015.
- Sangeeta Kochhar, My Life, My Words: Remembering Mahatma Gandhi. Dehradun, India: Natraj Publishers, 2011.
- Stephen Pinker, The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined. New York, NY: Penguin, 2012.
- Matthieu Ricard, Altruism: The Power of Compassion to Change Yourself and the World. New York, NY: Little, Brown and Company, 2015.
- Eliot Sober and David Sloan Wilson, Unto Others: The Evolution and Psychology of Unselfish Behavior. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1998.
- John Teasdale et al.,Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression. New York, NY: Guilford Press, 2001.
- Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb, I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. New York, NY: Little, Brown and Company, 2013.
- “Give Peace a Chance” / John Lennon
- “Imagine” / John Lennon
- “Redemption Song” / Bob Marley & The Wailers
- “Get Up, Stand Up” / Bob Marley & The Wailers
- “For Everyman” / Jackson Browne
- “Standing in the Breach” / Jackson Browne
- “Blowin’ In the Wind” / Bob Dylan
- “The Times They Are a-Changin’” / Bob Dylan
- “Better Way’” / Ben Harper
- “My Dear Country” / Norah Jones
- “If You’re Out There” / John Legend
- “Be the Change” / MC Yogi
- “Only Love Is Real” / MC Yogi
- “War” / Bruce Springsteen
- “Send Your Love” / Sting
- “Peace on Earth” / U2
- “Walk On” / U2
- “Compassion” / Lucinda Williams
- Action for Happiness
- Anandwan, community rehabilitation center in Maharashtra, India
- Center for Investigating Healthy Minds
- Cognitive Therapy
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
- Columbia University Earth Institute
- Compassion Cultivation Training (CCT)
- Cultivating Emotional Balance
- Dalai Lama Center for Peace and Education
- Dalai Lama Fellowships
- Environmental Working Group
- Heart-Mind Index
- Mind and Life Institute
- Mindfulness Meditation (with Jon Kabat-Zinn)
- SHINE, Harvard School of Public Health
- South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission
- World Wildlife Fund: Sacred Earth
- Jacob Davis, “Acting Wide Awake: Attention and the Ethics of Emotion.” PhD dissertation, City University of New York, February, 2014.
- Lisa Flook, et al. “Promoting Prosocial Behavior and Self-Regulatory Skills in Preschool Children through a Mindfulness-Based Kindness Curriculum.” Developmental Psychology, advance online publication, November 10, 2014.
- Linda Gallo and Karen Matthews, “Understanding the Connection between Socioeconomic Status and Physical Health: Do Negative Emotions Play a Role?” Psychological Bulletin, 129, 1, 2003, 10–51.
- Antoine Lutz et al., “Regulation of the Neural Circuitry of Emotion by Compassion Meditation: Effects of Meditative Expertise.” PLoS ONE 3(3): e1897. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001897.
- Kevin Ochsner et al., “Rethinking Feelings: An fMRI Study of the Cognitive Regulation of Feeling.” Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 14, 2002, 1215–1229.
- Kristin Neff, “Self-Compassion: An Alternative Conceptualization of a Healthy Attitude Toward Oneself.” Self and Identity, 2: 85–101, 2003.
- Emma Seppala et al. “Social Connection and Compassion: Important Predictors of Health and Well-being.” Social Research, 80(2), 2013, 411–430.
- Ayse Uskul and A.D. Horn, “Emotions and health.” In J. Wright (ed.) International Encyclopaedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, London: Elsevier, 2015.
- Felix Warneken and Michael Tomasello, “Altruistic helping in human infants and chimpanzees.” Science, 311, 5765, 2006; 1301–1303. Also, Jennifer L. Goertz et al., “Compassion: An Evolutionary Analysis and Empirical Review,” Psychological Bulletin, 136, 3, 2020, 351–374.
- Helen Y. Weng et al., “Compassion Training Alters Altruism and Neural Response to Suffering.” Psychological Science, 24, 7, 2013, 1171–80.
- Carolyn Zahn-Waxler et al., “Development of concern for others.” Developmental Psychology, 28, 1, 1992, 126–136.